Parts of a basic book citation
- author – family name first followed by initials.
(See page 6 of the Cheat Sheet for more detail on author names).
- date – year in brackets. (no date?)
- title – in italics; capitalize only the first word and names.
- subtitle – separate from the title with a colon, capitalize only the first word and names.
- place of publication – include the abbreviations for American states, include country if not the US, include the Australian states written out in full. Do not include for eBooks.
- publisher – use only the first publisher listed; give the publisher name without the words “Publisher”; for names like John Wiley, use only “Wiley”. Do not include for eBooks.
How to find the details for a book citation.
- eBook with two authors
- book with editor
- book with edition number